After Dr. Amogh Bhalerao or Dr. Gayatri Jadhav extract your tooth, we will provide you with detailed post-op instructions. These instructions are designed to help you heal and recover so that you can once again enjoy a healthy mouth and smile. Call Smiles R Us at 210-694-4999 if you have any questions or concerns, or to make an appointment with our experienced dentists in San Antonio, Texas.
After undergoing a tooth extraction, it is important to follow these post-operative instructions for optimal healing and recovery. Please adhere to the following guidelines:
- Refrain from chewing for at least two hours or until the effects of the anesthetic have subsided.
- To reduce swelling, apply an ice pack to the affected area. This can be done periodically for the first 48 hours.
- Avoid touching the extraction site with your tongue or fingers, as this may disrupt the healing process.
- Do not drink through a straw or engage in vigorous swishing and spitting, as it may dislodge the blood clot and impede healing.
- Minimize blowing your nose or sneezing forcefully, as this can create pressure in the oral cavity and impact the healing process.
- Refrain from rinsing your mouth on the day of the surgery to allow the blood clot to form properly.
- Avoid smoking or using tobacco products for several days following the extraction, as it can delay healing and increase the risk of complications.
- Make an effort to relax as much as possible, avoiding strenuous activities for the initial 24 hours after the procedure. Additionally, keep your head elevated during this time.
- Maintain a soft diet for the first 48 hours to prevent any unnecessary strain on the extraction site.
These instructions will help facilitate a smooth recovery and promote effective healing. Should you have any concerns or experience unexpected symptoms, do not hesitate to contact our dentists and team for further guidance and support.